Xenoestrogens. What they are, where to find them and what you can do about them
Let’s discuss xenoestrogens and endocrine-disruptors — those pesky little chemicals that are all around, continually funking with our hormones and our ability to feel, be, and even look our best.
Endocrine-disruptors and xenoestrogens are everywhere, that we can’t avoid.
We can however reduce our exposure and support our body in getting this stuff out as quickly as it comes in. Think poop, urine, breath, sweat!
I promise it works!
Here’s where we have to look out for:
- foods that have pesticides, artificial ingredients, flavors, or coloring
- meat, dairy and products from animals raised with antibiotics, hormones, and pesticide-laden or artificial diets
- non-stick coatings on cookware
- toxins in cosmetics, beauty, or household products
- perfumes and fragrances
- candles and air freshener
- liners of metal food cans
- paints, glues and lubricants
- plastics and other industrial products
- off-gassing of chemically treated fabrics and furniture
Depending on where you live, some of these chemicals may have already been banned, for example in the EU, but not in the USA. Many are said to not be harmful in very small amounts. Yet over time and with various exposures, little amounts can add up to be a lot!
Which hormone type are you?
Learn to finally ditch the fatigue, cravings, moodiness, brain fog, skin woes, overwhelm — & more — by discovering your personal blueprint to optimized health & hormones.
For saner hormones, here are a few ways we can help minimize exposure to xenoestrogens and hormone disruption:
- Avoid storing or heating foods or drinks in plastics. Go for glass or metal containers instead.
- Choose eco, clean or natural beauty products, or make them yourself!
- Swap non-stick cooking ware for stainless steel or cast iron instead
- Go organic for anything that goes in or on your body
- Use essential oils for fragrance over artificial or industrial fragrances and perfumes
- Opt for untreated, non-toxic, eco-friendly clothing, fabrics and furniture
- Use all-natural, non-toxic cleaners and household products
- Choose non-toxic candles, made from soy, beeswax or coconut
- Choose non-toxic air fresheners, such as candles and essential oil
Simply try to be aware when purchasing new products and think of choosing natural, organic and non-toxic options. Keep in mind that this of course takes time.
Have you already made an effort to reduce xenoestrogens and toxin exposure?
Casals-Casas C, Desvergne B. Endocrine disruptors: from endocrine to metabolic disruption. Annu Rev Physiol. 2011;73:135-62. doi: 10.1146/annurev-physiol-012110-142200. PMID: 21054169.
Wozniak M, Murias M. Ksenoestrogeny: substancje zakłócajace funkcjonowanie układu hormonalnego [Xenoestrogens: endocrine disrupting compounds]. Ginekol Pol. 2008 Nov;79(11):785-90. Polish. PMID: 19140503.
This information is for educational purposes only and is not intended to diagnose, manage, or treat disease or serious conditions. Always check with your doctor before making any changes. It’s important to consult a well-informed health practitioner for personal advice about your situation before relying on general information — we’re all wonderfully unique.
Sign up now for the 14-Day Hormone Harmony Jumpstart
Elevate your energy & mood, reduce cravings, upgrade memory, focus, clarity & calm, kickstart fat loss, & more!
Laurie Villarreal, FNLP, CHWC, FNS, LMC, CPT, RYT
Hi, I'm Laurie, a functional nutritionist and health coach, athlete, dog-mom, and biohacking adventure-lover. After having struggled for years to find lasting solutions for my own debilitating hormone-related symptoms, I created my online practice to begin helping other active, driven women get the support they need. I now help women around the world elevate their health, energy, business and life by optimizing their hormones with personalized nutrition and lifestyle tweaks. Together, we discover new tools and strategies that keep you showing up at your best so you can play even bigger in your life and work.
Book a free Hormone Harmony Strategy Session | Let's Connect: