Here’s one basic tip to start feeling your best
Okay, we’ve all heard it before. Hydration is key to our health. But if you’re anything like me, drinking enough water can be difficult. Maybe you forget, keep putting it off or simply find it too much of a hassle.
I’m gonna break down some tips, ideas, and recipes for you to make drinking water easy, accessible, and a new habit!
Why do we need water?
Our bodies like to stay in a state of balance called homeostasis, but we can quickly move into imbalance by going about our day and not replenishing our water intake.
We easily lose water by sweating (especially in hot climates) and breathing.
Our bodies and cells can’t function optimally when they’re dehydrated. Dehydration slows our metabolism down, which reduces our energy and brain function, affects cravings and mood, and much more.
Staying well hydrated also helps to support our detoxification system, by flushing out impurities that can increase total body stress if they stay in your body.
Right, but how much water do I need?
A good rule of thumb is to know if you’re hydrated is that your urine is regularly pale or clear. Aim to drink around half an ounce to 1 ounce of water per pound of weight. For most people that’s around 2,5l or more per day.
Keep in mind that if you’re in situations where you sweat more, like going to a sauna, living in a hot climate, or exercising, you’re also going to need to drink more water. If you’re sweating and drinking a lot, you’ll also need more electrolytes. You can add these to your water or get them via food and drinks.
Which hormone type are you?
Learn to finally ditch the fatigue, cravings, moodiness, brain fog, skin woes, overwhelm — & more — by discovering your personal blueprint to optimized health & hormones.
Tips and tricks
- I love starting my day with a large glass of water. You have loads of options here! I avoid drinking cold water on an empty stomach, because it gives me a stomach ache. So I tend to go for lukewarm water. Try adding a spritz of lemon, mint leaves, or other herbs or a few drops of food grade essential oils to give your water some flavoring. If that’s not your thing try making some teas for yourself in the morning. Ginger with lemon/ orange and honey is one of my favorites. Grab the recipe down below!
- Measure out the amount of water you want to drink for the day. Fill it into water bottles or a pitcher. Sip the water throughout the day. Here again you can spice things up and make infused water. Fill up your pitcher the night before and add orange (or any other citrus fruit) slices. You can also brew up a large amount of herbal tea.
- Carry a water bottle with you everywhere you go. Ideally a stainless steel or glas bottle. Have a pitcher standing on the table. Making water quickly accessible is going to heighten the chance of you actually drinking it. I like to have a glas and water ready at my work table, so I can just keep sipping whilst studying and working.
Morning wake up:
- 1 Tbsp of chia seeds
- Juice of ½ or 1 lime/orange/lemon
- Water (warm, cold, lukewarm – whatever you like best!)
Add to a glass and mix. Let the chia seeds swell for 10 mins and then drink up!
My favourite tea:
- 7 slices of ginger
- Juice of ½ a lemon/ clementine
- 2 sprigs of mint
- 2 tsp of honey
- Hot water
Add the ginger and mint to a mug and pour over with hot water. Once cooled down a little add the lemon juice and honey. Enjoy!
Add any mix of the following to a pitcher over night and drink the next day:
- Mint sprigs/leaves
- Pomegrante seeds
- Frozen or fresh berries (frozen ones tint the water pink!)
- Any other fruit herb or veg, which you want to have in your water!
This information is for educational purposes only and is not intended to diagnose, manage, or treat disease or serious conditions. Always check with your doctor before making any changes. It’s important to consult a well-informed health practitioner for personal advice about your situation before relying on general information — we’re all wonderfully unique.
Sign up now for the 14-Day Hormone Harmony Jumpstart
Elevate your energy & mood, reduce cravings, upgrade memory, focus, clarity & calm, kickstart fat loss, & more!
Laurie Villarreal, FNLP, CHWC, FNS, LMC, CPT, RYT
Hi, I'm Laurie, a functional nutritionist and board certified health coach, athlete, dog-mom, and biohacking adventure-lover. After having struggled for years to find lasting solutions for my own debilitating hormone-related symptoms, I created my online practice to begin helping other active, driven women get the support they need. I now help women around the world elevate their health, energy, business and life by optimizing their hormones with personalized nutrition and lifestyle tweaks. Together, we discover new tools and strategies that keep you showing up at your best so you can play even bigger in your life and work.
Book a free Hormone Harmony Strategy Session | Let's Connect: