This information is for educational purposes only and not intended to diagnose or highlight imperfections. You've likely landed here following your results of my quiz at YourHormoneQuiz.com. No matter what you discover in these results, you're beautiful and perfect as you are. You're good enough and trying hard enough. We're all unique and will experience hormonal shifts differently. This information is here to highlight that, despite what we've been told, we're not just little men — our bodies work differently — and if our hormones have us feeling less than our best, we absolutely can do something about it. My aim is to support and empower you on your journey, where you need and want it. Take what you need, leave what you don't. No judgement here, just good honest support.
A hyperactive thyroid could have you feeling nervous, anxious, irritable, insatiably hungry, sweaty, or trembly. You might be losing hair, have gut issues or trouble keeping on weight, and more. Symptoms could be subtle or more severe and often women struggle with symptoms long before an issue is or can be medically diagnosed. Taking care of your thyroid health can help put you on a path to improve symptoms and overall well-being.
Different ways our thyroid hormones get turned up:
There are numerous reasons our thyroid hormones are affected. Causes of thyroid issues are often multifactorial.
These include but are not limited to:
- Chronic stress
- Toxic exposures or overburdened body
- Inflammation, especially of the thyroid gland
- Inadequate diet for your hormone type or nutritional deficiencies
- Overexercising for your body’s hormone type
- Gut issues, including a permeable gut
- Too much or too little iodine
- Certain medications
- Goiters or nodules of the thyroid gland
- Hashimoto’s (this is quite rare as it usually causes symptoms of hyperthyroidism)
- Grave’s Disease
High Thyroid might look like:
- Jitteriness, restlessness
- Extreme or insatiable hunger
- Hair loss
- Trembling, tremors
- Itching or hives
- Brittle hair
- Shortness of breath
- Intolerance to heat
- Excessive sweating
- Gut issues, including frequent bowel movements or loose stool
- Aggression or anger
- Menstrual changes
- Increased blood sugar
Thyroid imbalances will present differently in different people. You might have a few or many of the above symptoms while someone else could have completely different ones. We’re all wonderfully unique.
Free 14-Day Hormone Harmony Jumpstart
Upgrade your energy, improve your sleep, stress, mood, skin, better manage weight fluctuations, and more. Get informed of the next start date.
How a hyperactive thyroid affects other hormones
Your thyroid regulates the metabolism of every organ in the body. It regulates the production of other hormones as well as our body temperature, our growth, brain function, heart rate and more. When our thyroid hormones go high, we feel it and often notice changes in our body as well.
A hyperactive thyroid can impact our sex hormones as well as every other hormone in our body. Not only do our thyroid hormones impact other important hormones, other hormones can affect our thyroid hormones as well. When our thyroid hormones go high, we most often want to pay attention to our stress hormones, as well as inflammation and blood sugar balance which directly impact our stress hormones.
What we can do about high thyroid:
When dealing with hormone imbalance, it’s important to address the cause. What could be at the root of a hyperactive thyroid? Could it be stress, inflammation (often related to autoimmunity), diet, blood sugar control? Dealing with the root cause is essential.
Restoring balance most often requires — first and foremost — reestablishing a strong foundation with a supportive diet and lifestyle. This includes optimizing nutrition and sleep and incorporating exercise and stress management techniques for your body and hormone type, reducing toxic exposures, and working on mindset and social support.
Ask your primary physician or qualified health practitioner for a full thyroid panel that includes the following (be sure to have a look using functional lab ranges vs the conventional pathological lab ranges):
- Free T4
- Free T3 (our active thryoid hormones)
- Reverse T3
- Thyroid antibodies: TPOab and TgAb
Other helpful functional lab work helping to see the bigger picture:
- Sex and adrenal hormones and their metabolites (DUTCH Test is the premier test)
- Full iron panel, including ferritin, serum iron, % saturation, TIBC
- Vitamin D
- Complete metabolic panel
Not sure where to start?
Here are 3 easy and free ways you can get started right now:
- Prioritize as well as upgrade your tools for down-regulation and stress management. A few ideas: restorative nutrition, restorative yoga, meditation, breath work, walks in nature, tai chi, sex and orgasms, journaling, EFT, and relaxing massage can all be effective. Find what works for you.
- Upgrade your sleep quality and quantity to match your stress levels and lifestyle, as well as syncing up your sleep and light exposure (especially blue light) with the daylight hours. The more stress and activity, and the more intense your movement or events, the more sleep is needed.
- Book a call with me. See below.
Check out this post for even more ways to get your hormones back in harmony.
Ready to feel your best?
Apply to work with me and let's get started.
Let's get you back to feeling your best and chasing your dreams.
This information is for educational purposes only and is not intended to diagnose, manage, or treat disease or serious conditions. Always check with your doctor before making any changes. It's important to consult a well-informed health practitioner for personal advice about your situation before relying on general information — we're all wonderfully unique.
Laurie Villarreal, CHWC, CFNS, LMC, CPT, RYT
As a functional nutrition practitioner and fitness expert specialized in women’s hormones, I help active, driven women, like you, get back to feeling, performing (heck, even looking!) your best when nothing else has worked. From personalized nutrition and lifestyle guidance to doing the deep, much needed inner work of coaching, I help you soar to new heights — to show up and play bigger (and brighter!) than you’ve ever imagined. So you can get back to living your best life and chasing your dreams — with much more joy and ease.
Apply to work with me here | Let's Connect: